2019 – 2020 Positions
The overall goal of these individual VISTA projects is to improve the health status of low income, uninsured, and predominantly rural residents in South Central New York State.
- One year full-time service commitment
- VISTA Pre-Service Orientation: prior to service
- VISTA term runs ONE FULL YEAR
- Living Allowance of $13,362 (pre-tax) provided during service
- Education Award of $6,195 OR $1500 end of service stipend
- Health coverage
- Child care subsidy available for qualified members
- College loan forbearance
- Relocation funds (up to $550) and mileage reimbursement available
- College degree preferred
Food Bank of the Southern Tier VISTA - (Elmira, NY)
July 2020 – July 2021
The Food Bank of the Southern Tier is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA Member to assist in community and partner education, administrative tasks, outreach for summer meals, and volunteer recruitment. This member would conduct workshops internally and externally, help set up and plan for meetings, help organize summer meal information and publicize it, and match volunteers with organizations in need of help.
Broome County Council of Churches (Binghamton, NY)
June 2020 – June 2021
The Broome County Council of Churches is looking for a VISTA Member to join us in supporting the work our agency does to feed the community, ensure older adults remain socially engaged and support those who are hospitalized and incarcerated. You will learn about the importance of fundraising, donor stewardship, community events and will help us launch our new non-profit grocery store. Our team is responsible to raise the funding required to support our work and communicate the impact to our community in new and creative ways. We are willing teach the required skill sets and are much more interested in working with someone who values hard work, learning, sharing ideas and most importantly having fun at work! This is also not your typical top-down leadership model; we need someone who can work in a diverse group, help us grow, bring great ideas and be a true team player.
Rural Health Network of South Central NY (Binghamton, NY)
October 2020 – October 2021
The Rural Health Network of South Central New York (RHNSCNY) VISTA will be overseeing marketing and communications for the overall agency. This will involve working with the various RHNSCNY programs, including Community Health Services, the Food and Health Network, GetThere (a mobility management program), and more! This position would be a great opportunity for anyone looking to develop their skills in social media, Constant Contact, Canva, and general website management.
Opioid/Over-the-Counter Coordinating VISTA (Watkins Glen, NY)
August 2020 – August 2021
The VISTA will address the opioid crisis in Schuyler County by organizing and supporting coalition work surrounding substance abuse and the opioid epidemic. The programming treats opioid addiction and recovery as a health issue, emphasizing prevention, intervention, and treatment.
- An interest in, and commitment to, health and/or rural communities and people
- Evidence of current and/or past volunteer service activities
- Communication skills, including writing and verbal communication with clarity and accuracy
Self direction: Members must be self-directed and show evidence of their ability to work independently and efficiently
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents, and they must have their high school diploma or GED