Open AmeriCorps Positions
- Health insurance and child care assistance is available for full-time (1700 hour) members
- Serve full- or part-time for 10-12 months, or increased hours in a shorter time period
- College Loan Forbearance available
|Term of Service||Living Allowance Stipend||Education Award|
900 Hour Positions
Public Health Fellow at Lourdes Hospital (Binghamton, NY)
May – November 2021, 40 hours/week
Responsibilities of the Public Health Fellow at Lourdes include:
- Compose, type, and trascribe correspondence, forms, reports, and other written communication as required. Route written communication as appropiate.
- Communicate with others in person, telephone, and/or email. May receive and screen visitors and handle general inquiries.
- Establishes and maintains filing systems.
- Orders and stocks vaccination supplies.
- May enter information from a variety of sources into the compute database(s) and verify data entered into the computer by checking printouts/reports for errors and correcting as required.
To learn more about the Lourdes, please click here.
300 Hour Positions
Healthy Lifestyles Coalition Fresh Cycles Specialist (Binghamton, NY)
May – November 2021
A prime role of the HLC – Fresh Cycles Specialist will be to assist the United Way and the
Healthy Lifestyles Coalition in engaging residents in the development and implementation of
initiatives that promote healthy lifestyles among residents living in the North and East sides of
Binghamton. This position is responsible for providing support to the Healthy Lifestyles Coalition Fresh
Cycles Bike Program. Fresh Cycles, a program of the United Way of Broome County, is a
Community Bike Shop located on Binghamton’s Northside, at the Lee Barta Community Center.
Fresh Cycles works with neighborhood residents, youth riders, bicycle enthusiasts of all ages,
and people who want to give back to our community through participating and volunteering in
the program. The primary role of the HLC-Fresh Cycles Specialist is to ensure the success of
the three programs included in the Fresh Cycles initiative; Earn-A-Bike, Group Rides, and Open
Academic and Experience Qualifications: A minimum 2 years of experience in bicycle maintenance and repair, program development, and/or community education.
To learn more about the United Way’s Healthy Lifestyles Coalition, please click here.
Truth Pharm AmeriCorps Member (Binghamton, NY)
May – November 2021
(1-3 members – schedules and hours are flexible, depending on start date – if an applicant desires a longer term than 300 hours, this may be possible)
The role of the Americorps Members will be to:
- pull together easy to use resources to educate community members on COVID19, risks,
resources and vaccinations
- provide community education regarding COVID19
- provide community education regarding COVID19 vaccinations
- attend community outreach events with Truth Pharm to provide onsite community education
and to register people for COVID19 vaccination appointments
- create wait lists for COVID19 vaccinations where appropriate
- send text reminders to people registered for COVID vaccinations
- ensure people signed up for vaccinations have transportation to their vaccination appointments
- connect people with the GetThere program where appropriate
- keep accurate records of numbers of persons reached, educated, registered for vaccinations and
who received vaccinations
Skills Needed: verbal communication skills, computer skills, ability to keep records, research
To learn more about Truth Pharm, please click here.
Public Health AmeriCorps Member (Binghamton, NY)
12 hours/week (mainly three shifts from 4:00-8:00 PM), Monday – Friday, May – November 2021
- Compile vaccine waiting list by contacting pharmacies
- Call people on waiting list and assist with signup
- Educate people on preparation for vaccine
- Coordination transportation referrals to Getthere program
- Track and document number of people served
Vaccination Education AmeriCorps Member (Binghamton, NY)
Summer Home Improvement Crew (Whitney Point, NY)
9 week program, June – August, 40 hours/week
The AmeriCorps – Home Repair Crew Member Position is a seasonal (summer) 300 hour AmeriCorps position. The Crew is comprised of four AmeriCorps Members and one Crew Leader staff member. The Crew will be trained to address outdoor home maintenance and light repair needs for older homeowners living in Northern Broome County, NY. The work will require the use of tools (hand tools and power tools) and require a high level of activity throughout the work day. Crew Members will need to be able to lift heavy objects and to not have physical limitations that prevent them from doing manual labor, including painting, landscaping and moving materials. Transportation can be provided to Crew Members who require it in order to access the work site(s). This program is meant for young adults aged 18 -25. (Note: a writing sample is not required for this position.)
- An interest in, and commitment to, health and/or rural communities and people
- Evidence of current and/or past volunteer service activities
- Communication skills, including writing and verbal communication with clarity and accuracy
Self direction: Members must be self-directed and show evidence of their ability to work independently and efficiently
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents, and they must have their high school diploma or GED